Camp Mokule’ia was purchased by The Episcopal Church of Hawaii from the McInerny estate in 1947. The original 2.5 acre site held buildings erected in the 1920’s, of which the two-story studio and maintenance shop is the only remaining structure. In 1953 an additional strip 40’ wide along the highway, the former railroad right of way, was purchased from the Dillingham Corporation, bringing the total area to a little over 3 acres.
For the first 22 years the camp was used on an occasional basis for conferences and Summer Camp by the Episcopal Church. In 1969, the first year-round director was hired, leading to the development of the previous Summer Camping. Also developing our programs for Church Retreats, Conference, and Rental Programs for adults and families, Elderhostel programs for seniors, and a permanent full-time and part-time staff to support them with meals, lodging and meeting places. Since ten, users have included a variety of people and groups from all walks of life, who have enjoyed our facilities.
In 1984, a master plan and a major capital fund campaign were developed for the rebuilding of Camp Mokule’ia, resulting in the construction of the dining hall (1988) and the Lodge (1989), extensive repairs on the cabins (1990-91) and the demolition of the older building (1990). A second round of improvements and refurbishments is currently underway (2009).
Camp Mokule’ia has served three generations of Island people, as well as many from the U.S. Mainland, and around the world. It has truly become for many, “A Place Apart”.